Dive Report 17 February


Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. The air temperature was forty-six with a stiff breeze out of the northwest. The water temperature varied from sixty-eight to seventy, the seventy degrees being close to the beach. Vis today was an improvement from the other day as we had about ten to fifteen feet, sometimes more, sometimes less. Before an open water student and I entered the water we saw a manatee right off the beach, but by the time we got in the water we couldn't find it. A couple of little spotted eagle rays and a small southern ray flew gracefully by us. I looked for the little lionfish out by the upside down wreck, but it wasn't there. A little web burrfish was in the sand not too far away from the wreck. In my drysuit I was very comfortable. My student was in a 3mm full suit; thirty minutes into the dive she was chilled. She lasted much longer than I would have in a wetsuit! It was a bright sunny day, but the cloudless sky was made possible by a high pressure center funnelling cold air right at us. Get in the water (if you have the exposure suit), Ham