Dive Report 8 April

We had a windy, sunny day at the bridge. I don't know if the water being released from Lake Okeechobee reaches down to the Lake Worth lagoon, but the water sure was green indicating a fresh water mix. It shimmered, too, not unlike the shimmer a diver sees at a thermocline. It appears there is a great deal of fresh water in the mix. The vis was about fifteen to twenty feet. The closer we got to the channel, the shorter and greener the vis was. My AOW student and I were able to run our compass courses. It was a good day for compass work; we couldn't see if we were hitting our targets until we were close to them. Clear vis makes hitting compass targets much easier! We were preoccupied with shooting bags and reviewing skills, but we did get to see two spotted eagle rays quite close to us. My student was in a 3mm full suit with a hood. He was comfortable for our one hour, three minute dive. I wore my drysuit even though I could have worn my 5mm with a hooded vest in the seventy-three degree water. My gear was wet from being divemaster earlier in the day and I didn't want to add to the laundry. Offshore at seventy-five feet the water temperature ranges from 66 to 68. Offshore we're seeing many sharks (I saw a lemon shark at Captain Mike's!), goliath groupers, and turtles, both green and loggerheads. If you can handle the water temperature, the marine life is fabulous. Coming soon: night dives at the bridge through the Jupiter Dive Center! I'll keep you posted. Get in the water, Ham