Dive Report 10 February



After two weeks in upstate NY it was very nice to be back in south Florida doing a bridge dive. Last Friday as I gathered my gear to go skiing at Windham, NY the temperature was ten below zero. At the bridge the air temperature of seventy-five and the water temperature of seventy-two was an incredibly welcome change. Vis was inconsistent. Off the beach the vis was barely ten feet. At the boat channel and to the north of the fishing pier the vis was fifteen to twenty feet. That surprised me (as you know, I am often surprised) because there was a moderate chop on the water from a stiff southwesterly breeze. Holding the dive flag can be challenging with a rough surface chop. There were several jellyfish swimming around especially the beach area. I just assume all jellyfish, especially ones I don't know, have the potential to sting. Carrie and I did not experiment with the jellyfishes' tools for feeding and defending themselves. They were fascinating to watch, though. The other picture is of a lizardfish hiding-in-wait for lunch. In a 5mm suit and a 3mm hooded vest Carrie was comfortable for our one hour, twenty minute dive. I'm in my drysuit until spring. Get in the water, Ham