Dive Report 27 August

I was looking at the date of the last post and can't believe that it has been that long since I have been at the Bridge. There may have been a couple of times I dived there without posting. With recent eye surgery (everything is fine now) and visits to family in New York, I have been out of the water for quite some time. Yesterday I accompanied a very pleasant young man for a refresher before he goes offshore on Friday (he was playing hooky). What an intelligent thing to do, the refresher, not hooky, although there is a time and place for it! He has been out of the water for a year and has very few dives so he (and his parents or maybe the other way around) thought the refresher would be prudent. You would be amazed at how often we get people on the boat who at the last minute before the dive make us aware that it has been ten years since they have been in the water. More than once that situation has turned out badly. So it was nice to see people using common sense. The water temperature was eighty-four . I did not wear a wet suit and was very comfortable for our one hour twenty-seven minute dive. "Stingies" in the water are always a concern, but there were only a very few that I felt on my face. Visibility was between fifteen and twenty feet. The fresh water is on the surface, so in the shallower water the vis is shorter. The clearest water was close to the bottom. There is much algae or an algae-like substance on the bottom that wasn't there last spring. I hope that it is a result of the fresh water and that with a return to more saline water when we enter the dry season that it will disappear. There were no moon jelly fish; I have seen them offshore lately so I was anticipating them at the Bridge, but was pleasantly surprised to see their absence. It was nice to be back. The little butter hamlet was a nice "welcomer". Get in the water, Ham