Dive Report 8 November




The north wind was STILL blowing! Underwater I couldn't care less, but getting out of the water after the dive requires Spartan discipline and resolve. The vis was shorter today at between ten to fifteen feet; that was to be expected considering the high surf outside the inlet. The water temperature was still seventy-seven. In my 5mm full suit I was very comfortable for our one hour, fifteen minute dive. My open water student in a 3mm full suit was fine; he was so engrossed with all the mini-lobsters that being cold didn't occur to him. He can't wait to get offshore with his lobster gear. We saw two species of searobins, a bandtail and a blackwing. Not looking like lobsters, my student wasn't particularly interested. We saw the octopus in the same lair and a couple of sharptail eels foraging about. I wrote a note on my slate about the "no taking of tropicals" regulation to a diver who was trying to catch a puffer fish in a yogurt cup. The puffer was way too fast for him anyway. It didn't need my help. Overall, it was a nice dive with very few divers in the water. What do I thank for that...a Monday morning or "less than cupcake conditions"? Get in the water, Ham