Dive Report 13 January


Two students and I were doing rescue exercises while Carrie did a dive under the fishing pier and out to the boat channel. Off the beach we had about ten feet of vis. Carrie reported that at the boat channel the vis was maybe eight feet. There was a very rough chop as the wind was strong right out of the north. (The photograph is not from the bridge). That really stirs things up. I was amazed we had ANY vis, but since we were doing a search and rescue it didn't matter to us. Carrie saw the gorgeous butter hamlet on the junk pile under the fishing pier; the beautiful yellow fish has been there for quite some time. The water temperature was seventy. In her 5mm with a 3mm hooded vest Carrie was comfortable. I'll be in my drysuit for the next two months I figure. My student in a 3mm wetsuit with a hooded vest was pretty cold, but we were on the surface for much of the exercise and the wind was HOWLING! For divers in wetsuits getting out of the water into that wind is a challenge. On our way north back to the Jupiter Dive Center we now stop, more often than not, for a cup of coffee. I don't want to appear insensitive so I have one, too. Get in the water, Ham