Dive Report 19 May

It was an absolutely spectacular day at the bridge. The highlights were a school of five spotted eagle rays out by the boat channel and a lookdown fish around the pilings of the second set. Incredible! I was diving solo in my steel doubles to reacquaint myself with their heft, balance, etc. while wearing a drysuit. We are planning some deeper stuff so I need the practice and the bridge works well for that. I did the normal circuit counting at least twenty octopuses on the south side of the bridge in the sand. That is no exaggeration, twenty! They were everywhere. I saw a little black seahorse in that neighborhood, too. The vis was better than forty feet. It seemed spring-like. The water temperature was eighty-one. By moving very slowly and wearing a minimal undergarment I was very comfortable in the drysuit. Several divers were not wearing exposure suits. The conditions are absolutely premium right now. NOAA reports that the Gulf Stream is only two miles off the Jupiter Inlet. That may have something to do with the incredible conditions. GET IN THE WATER!!! Ham