Dive Report 6 November


It wasn't as thick as split pea soup; it was more like chicken noodle. We could see four or five feet. Yesterday we tried to do a dive, but one to two feet of vis just isn't worth it. Today the vis was twice as far as it was yesterday! Our open water students were confident and comfortable enough in the short vis so we did the dive in almost physical contact with each other to maintain the buddy team. The students did very well staying close by and actually saw some of the local critters (up close of course). The real kicker though was the water temperature - seventy-five! I saw on the morning weather report yesterday that the water temperature at the Fort Pierce buoy was seventy-two. In anticipation of colder water (hoping it wasn't), I brought my 5mm wetsuit and a 3mm hooded vest. I was toasty warm. I don't pretend to understand Mother Nature, but it seems this persistent north wind has given us short vis and cold water. Wow, it can change quickly. We have some east wind coming the next few days so maybe it will bring us some warmer water and longer vis. I'm at the bridge on Saturday for a 3:50 high tide. I'll let you know what we find. I suppose winter is inevitable. Get in the water (with your thicker wetsuit), Ham