Dive Report 14 December


You don't know unless you go! (I don't know to whom to credit that phrase. I think the Association of Underwater Explorers might use it, or the Global Underwater Explorers. Anyway, I apologize for not correctly identifying the source.) It was certainly the situation at the bridge today. With the wind blowing hard in excess of 25 mph from the north and then the east for about two days I thought the shallow water outside the inlet would be mirky. I had my doubts about what the vis would be at the bridge today. Divers asked if I still planned on going and I had to resort to the credo, "You don't know..." So we went. Worst case scenario - we don't have to wash gear, we have coffee, cream cheese and jelly, and we get to chat with friends on a relatively warm morning. Best case scenario - we dive, and then do all of the above. What a surprise to have fifteen feet of vis and seventy-three degree water! (The water offshore Friday was a cold sixty-four degrees upwelling [Very rare; I haven't experienced one in two years. Lucky me.] So I reveled in the bath-like conditions today for a one hour, twenty-eight minutes dive time. We saw two bandtail searobins, an enormous southern ray eating, a stunning juvenile blue angelfish, and "Grumpy", the shortnose batfish, apparently sneaking up on a blennie. The strong east wind brought in quite a few moon jellyfish as it often does, but they were easily avoided. All in all, a great morning at the bridge shared with good friends. I love it here! Get in the water, Ham