Dive Report 17 July



Typical south Florida afternoon - thunderstorms all around us. There is a very positive side to these storms; people leave the park so parking is much easier. Also, the picnic tables get a nice fresh water rinse. With overcast skies the vis was shorter at about twenty feet, maybe a little more. It was still easy to navigate to the wrecks that remain. An experienced advanced open water student, who needs an AOW card to be able to do some of the dives where dive operators require AOW, and I ventured off the beach almost due south to the center console wreck. We practiced in and out of our gear underwater which was good for me because I have a new BCD with which I had not practiced that skill. From there we went due west to the upside down wreck which is close to the channel (be very careful if you venture out to this one). Our next leg was a little north and then west to the sailboat wreck (we call it the 230 wreck because that is the compass heading from the beach). A 330 course from there took us back under the bridge where we measured fin kicks from one set of pilings to the next. Just before this the rain and lightning started to happen. Great light show. I can't count the number of times that has happened offshore. At first it seems a photographer is taking pictures. No photographer, must be lightning. It's never bothered me while I'm under water. Once offshore I nearly jumped out of my skin when we surfaced during a fast-moving electric storm and a bolt hit probably within a quarter of a mile. I suppose it is similar to playing PowerBall; there is a chance. Oh well. The water temperature was eighty-four. At the end of our one hour, twenty minute dive in just a skin I was thinking I might like a cup of soup for supper. The batfish were there. Carrie and our good friend, Rob, saw snook in the pilings and the "tiniest" gray or french angelfish she has ever seen. It was too tiny to tell! My student pointed out a big spotted moray just to the north of the fishing pier. (Lightning = no people on the fishing pier) There were also a couple of big lobsters in the sailboat wreck and just north of the fishing pier (Michele!). We capped off our wonderful dive with supper at the Sailfish Marina with our great friends, Rob and Sharon. Great day! Get in the water, Ham