Dive Report 5 June


Cold water! An open water student and I entered 72 degree water from a ninety degree land temperature. Quite a change. I had been offshore earlier in the day and experienced 61 degrees on the top of the North Juno Ledge. Thanks to a warning from my friends, I was in my drysuit for that one. The seven divers with me on the boat were in 3mm suits and although they were diving nitrox, the 61 degrees kicked them out of the water after 23 minutes. My hat is off to them, though; I wouldn't have lasted five minutes in a 3mm suit. Anyway, back to the bridge. With the torrential downpours we have been experiencing for the last several days, the water at the bridge is green. Fresh water runoff does that to the lagoon. The vis was still fifteen feet and we had no trouble navigating our way out to the channel to run through the skill set. My student in a 3mm fullsuit was quite chilled at the end of our fifty minute dive. I was in my 5mm fullsuit with a 3mm hooded vest. I was pretty comfortable; glad I wasn't in a 3mm. Get in the water (but bring your winter suit), Ham