Dive Report 1 June


Never expected it! What a surprise! A middle-sized MANATEE swam right by three students and me in five feet of water right off the beach. It appeared to be in now hurry and we were able to watch it for probably thirty seconds. I was so surprised it never occurred to me to use my video camera. I'm new at that and would probably have just turned it on by the time the manatee swam beyond the twenty to twenty-five feet of visibility we had today. That was the vis off the beach. By the channel it was pretty good, but a little cloudy. The water was eighty-two degrees. In 3mm wetsuits we were comfortable for our one hour, twenty-three minute in-water time. We saw a very cooperative batfish (that didn't mind the turmoil of new students!) and many octopuses. But to see a manatee this time of year! What a wonderful surprise! "You gotta love the bridge!" Get in the water, Ham