Dive Report 24 July



We don't know unless we go! That was surely the case today as I thought that after the serious rain storms from Bonnie, the water dumped from the canals by the Army Corps of Engineers, and several days of rough seas, that there would be no visibility at the bridge. One of my students called me Friday night to ask if we were still diving Saturday morning on a 7:44 am high tide. I learned quite some time ago that I don't know unless I go. So, the dive was on and we were pleasantly surprised by ten feet or so of vis. Granted, that is not great, but it is very doable and my three open water students, a certified diver, Carrie, and I had a very nice one hour, nineteen minute dive. Little lobsters are everywhere. A batfish has taken up residence under the little wreck west of the Sumar. It has been there for several days. The students saw several sharptail eels and scorpionfish. In eighty-four degree water only one of us (not me) was wearing a thin wetsuit. The rest of us were either in a dive skin or using no exposure suit. No one was cold or even cool. A very nice advantage to early-morning diving is the parking availability. No problem finding a spot. "You don't know unless you go" certainly did not originate with me, but I certainly like to live by it as best I can. Get in the water, Ham