Dive Report 27 December


Cold, cold, cold! The air temperature was 48 in a constant breeze from the northwest and the water temperature was 70 off the beach and 68 at the boat channel. Cold. Vis was down to between ten and fifteen feet. The chop on the intracoastal has lifted sand into the water so it is milky. Nevertheless, my open water student in two 3mm wetsuits (and 24 lbs of lead to sink them) did very well on our fifty-six minute dive. Tobin, the most die-hard bridge diver I know, said he felt pretty comfortable in his 3mm suit with a 3mm hooded vest. He's tougher than I am. I was in my drysuit with substantial undergarment to stay toasty. As I've said previously, I am too old to be cold. Tobin saw a striped burrfish, a couple of pipefish, and other critters I missed as my focus was on my student and completing the skill set before he froze. We did it! If you're "tough enough" (or have a drysuit) Get in the water, Ham