Dive Report 13 June

No photos this time; I had an eleven-year-old open water student and was very much focused on the job at hand. The thunderstorms, we were told, were wild as they came through Riviera Beach. I noticed that the reel/flag was bobbing quite a bit, but it was so peaceful where we were. It was dark, but the vis was at least fifty feet. It was absolutely exceptional. I did not need my compass to navigate; I could see all of my navigation markers (aka junk on the bottom). My student's father, waiting for us under the bridge, experienced howling winds, a good sand-blasting, and horizontal rain for about five or ten minutes. My student and I saw some flashes and could see the rain hitting the surface, but it was so peaceful under water. The water temperature was eighty-two. I was very comfortable, but my seventy pound (if that) little student was frozen in his shorty the minute we entered the water. It was a job to get him to focus on completing the skill set instead of how cold he was. Many divers are diving the bridge and offshore now without exposure suits. (Offshore is spectacular right now with 80' to 100' of vis in 82 degree water). I still need my 3mm, but my little student probably would be warmer with about twenty more pounds of insulation that most of us carry naturally. I'm back at the Bridge on Thursday with a couple of open water students. I believe it will be spectacular. The octopuses are still everywhere. Get in the water, Ham