Dive Report 15 November

The Moonies are back! No, not the Moonies pictured (if you know who they are you are no spring chicken), but rather the moon jellyfish. My advanced open water student and I had ten to fifteen feet of vis in seventy-nine degree water for our one hour, twenty-four minute dive. I would have been comfortable in a 3mm suit, but knowing how fickle the conditions can be, especially after TWO WEEKS of less than ideal conditions, I wore my 5mm and was toasty. (I get more utility from my 5mm suit than any of my others). We saw a good-sized octopus on our swim over to the east bridge and a tiny seahorse on our way back. We swam around the swim area as I am not particularly keen on schlepping my gear across the beach. It takes about fifteen minutes to do that at my frog-kick speed and it is often worth an interesting critter or two. We have seen a northern stargazer on this mini-trek. I was disappointed to see the moon jellies, but we suffered no discomfort from stingies. It is an inconvenience to dodge them, but it is not difficult as long as one is diligent. Getting back in the water after two weeks of non-diving activity was very nice, even with the Moonies. Get in the water, Ham