Dive Report 18 November



I was fooled AGAIN! Every time I think I know what Mother Nature is doing I am shown that I really don't. On my way to the Jupiter Dive Center to meet my students, I stopped by the Hobe Sound beach to see what the vis might be. There was nothing but greenish brown water for two hundred yards off the beach. My conclusion was that the water coming into the Lake Worth Lagoon would be equally greenish brown with zero vis. At the Shop I informed my two advanced open water students that I was not optimistic about the diving conditions at the Bridge. Nevertheless, since they are from Palm Beach Gardens we decided it was at least worth a look. Arriving at the Bridge about an hour before the slack high tide we found six to eight feet of vis. Those are actually great conditions for doing advanced open water navigation skills. We dived the east bridge for one hour, nineteen minutes in seventy-seven degree water. Yes, that is two degrees cooler than my last dive at the Bridge a few days ago. Winter is coming! In my 5mm wetsuit and thin hooded vest I was still toasty. My students were in 3mm suits and very comfortable, but they are both Canadians! Wonderfully, there were NO moon jellyfish (or maybe the vis was so short that we didn't see them)! It wasn't "cupcake" diving, but we were under water; that is fine with me any time. Get in the water, Ham