Dive Report 19 September



I was at the Bridge on Saturday with one quarter of the earth's population (approx. 1.5 billion people) and didn't bother to blog the experience. Working with students I could only report on water temperature and vis anyway. Today, however, Carrie and I did a goof-off dive for an hour and forty minutes under the east bridge. We haven't been over there since the beginning of the construction. The reward for the swim around the swim area (I'm not schlepping my gear across the beach when I can travel underwater!) was incredible. We discovered another community of yellow-colored eels that must be cousins to garden eels. Most spectacular were the ENORMOUS school of mackerel scad and the little school of lookdowns. The shadow from the mackerel scad school (it looked like a bait ball; I suppose it was a baitball) was attention-getting, to say the least. The dynamics of the ball were absolutely mesmerizing. The lookdowns are so odd-looking that one wonders how a being that thin can house all the innards critters have to have. Absolutely amazing. There are STILL moon jellyfish, but we experienced only very minor stings, nothing like a few weeks ago when I just wanted to get out of the water. Oh, I almost forgot, the water temperature was eighty-six and the vis was fifteen (a little green) feet. I LOVE the weekdays!! We saw four other divers. Get in the water, Ham