Dive Report 4 September



Sea lice are STILL a BIG problem! I was hoping that the turbulence from Irene would have cleared out the "stingies", but they are still at the bridge and make diving there an unpleasant experience. Some have suggested that the stinging comes from chopped up moon jellyfish which are at the bridge in both whole and chopped-up status. My student and I were wearing dive skins, but we were both stung around the neck where the critters tend to get trapped and sting with a vengeance. My student had some nasty welts on his neck; I had one that looked like a spider bite. A friend accompanying us wore no exposure suit and although he exhibited no welts, he said he was stung many times. "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln" the vis was ten feet and the water temperature ranged from eighty-six to eighty-eight. We saw two batfish, an octopus, and (the highlight for me on an uncomfortable dive) a yellow garden eel. I am scheduled to take an open water student to the bridge on Tuesday; I want to delay it if I can for a more pleasant experience. Get in the water (after the stingies have gone!), Ham