Dive Report 9 August


Better and better! We had a little better vis today, 10' to 15', and 82 degree water. At 7:00 am on a Monday morning there was only one car besides ours in the parking lot. The high tide was at 8:06 am. My open water students arrived late so we actually started the dive at 8:03 after doing our predive safety check. We had to go straight out to the channel to run the skill set, but as is often the case with younger and smaller students, ears would not cooperate. Skill set incomplete, we started back after the ebb had started. The water became increasingly greener and the tidal flow became stronger. My students struggled with the current until we reached the relative calm of the water off the beach. I figure there is nothing like experiential wisdom to understand why we dive the slack high tide, and that it does not wait for us. I didn't have to say a word. Now they know better than they would have from any explanation from me. We'll be back tomorrow morning (well before slack high tide I'll bet). Get in the water (on time!), Ham